Saturday 5 May 2012

EXP2 Wk3 36 Custom Textures

Creating our own transition of textures from light to dark proved to be a little more difficult that I initially anticipated. I found that I had an idea of either the light or dark ends, but with 4 transitions between the two I had to really thing about how it would develop, and through a 'zooming in' effect, multiplying effect or some other one relevant to the pattern.

Textures 1 & 2

Textures 3 & 4

Textures 5 & 6

As I worked on my textures, I tried to avoid in my later textures my tendency to stick to geometric shapes only. My most experimental was Texture 3, where I explored a familiar shape being distorted/viewed differently when repeated. 
To place into my model I chose the following three Light, Medium and Dark textures, respectively:

Light, Medium and Dark textures used in my monument

The light texture reminded me of rays of light, and the effect that it can have on the look and feel of a building at different angles. Seeing as I want my monument to mould and reflect it's surroundings, the lines could create an interesting effect with shadows and rays of light.
The medium texture I intend to use on the horizontal joining platform which will be a symbol of the platform and junction between architecture and nature. The texture itself shows a union of different lines that can be seen to form various shapes- so too can nature and architecture unite in different shapes.
The dark texture I have used on the central column. As it symbolises the strength of a tree trunk, I chose this texture due to its circular pattern mimicking the age rings of a tree.

Monument with applied custom textures


No comments:

Post a Comment